If you’re a Pokemon Go player, you know that Giovanni, the leader of Team Go Rocket, is a formidable opponent. Defeating him requires careful planning and a strong team of Pokemon. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll break down Giovanni’s current lineup, his weaknesses, and the best strategies to defeat him. Whether you’re a seasoned trainer or a newcomer to the game, this article will provide you with all the information you need to emerge victorious in your battle against Giovanni.
How to Find Giovanni in Pokemon Go
Before you can take on Giovanni, you’ll need to locate him in the game. Typically, Giovanni is only available to battle while completing Team Go Rocket Special Research. This special research quest changes every few months, and it usually rewards you with a Shadow legendary Pokemon at the end. Currently, the quest is called “Showdown in the Shadows.”
To find Giovanni, you’ll first need to defeat all three Team Go Rocket leaders: Arlo, Cliff, and Sierra. Once you’ve done that, you’ll receive a Super Rocket Radar, which allows you to track down Giovanni. Keep in mind that Giovanni won’t appear in the first encounter you have with a Team Go Rocket balloon or a taken-over PokeStop. There will be decoy grunts along the way, so keep trying until you find Giovanni.
Giovanni’s Current Lineup in Pokemon Go
Giovanni’s team changes periodically, but as of January 2024, his lineup consists of the following Pokemon:
- Phase 1: Persian
- Phase 2: Nidoking, Kingler, Garchomp
- Phase 3: Regigigas
It’s important to note that Giovanni’s lineup may change in the future, so always stay updated with the latest information. Now, let’s take a closer look at each phase of the battle and the best counters to use against Giovanni’s Pokemon.
Phase 1: Countering Persian
At the start of the battle, Giovanni always leads with his signature Pokemon, Persian. To counter Persian effectively, you’ll want to bring a strong Fighting-type Pokemon. Here are some top choices:
- Terrakion with Double Kick and Sacred Sword
- Machamp with Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Lucario with Counter and Aura Sphere
- Conkeldurr with Counter and Dynamic Punch
These Fighting-type Pokemon have the advantage against Persian and can deal significant damage. Make sure to use their charged moves strategically to maximize your chances of success.
Phase 2: Countering Nidoking, Kingler, and Garchomp
In the second phase of the battle, Giovanni randomly selects one of three Pokemon: Nidoking, Kingler, or Garchomp. To counter each of these Pokemon effectively, you’ll need to exploit their weaknesses.
- Nidoking: This Poison/Ground-type Pokemon is weak against Ground-type moves. Consider using Pokemon with Ground-type attacks such as:
- Garchomp with Mud Shot and Earth Power
- Mamoswine with Mud Slap and Bulldoze
- Groudon with Mud Shot and Earthquake
- Rhyperior with Mud Slap and Earthquake
- Kingler: As a Water-type Pokemon, Kingler is weak against Electric-type moves. Here are some Electric-type Pokemon you can use:
- Electivire with Thunder Shock and Wild Charge
- Zapdos with Thunder Shock and Thunderbolt
- Garchomp: This dual Dragon/Ground-type Pokemon has vulnerabilities to Ice-type moves. Consider using strong Ice-type Pokemon such as:
- Galarian Darmanitan with Ice Fang and Avalanche
- Mamoswine with Powder Snow and Avalanche
Phase 3: Countering Regigigas
In the final phase of the battle, Giovanni unleashes his most powerful Pokemon, Regigigas. This Normal-type Pokemon has weaknesses that you can exploit. Use the following counters to defeat Regigigas:
- Fighting-type Pokemon: Since Regigigas is a normal type, Fighting-type moves are super effective against it. You can use the same Fighting-type Pokemon from the first phase to counter Regigigas.
With the right counters and strategic moves, you’ll be able to take down Giovanni’s team and emerge victorious in your battle against him.
Crafting the Best Team to Defeat Giovanni
To maximize your chances of defeating Giovanni, it’s crucial to assemble a team of Pokemon with type advantages against his lineup. Based on Giovanni’s current team, here’s a recommended team composition:
- Terrakion: This Fighting/Rock-type Pokemon is ideal to counter Persian, and it also has a type advantage against Regigigas.
- Kyogre: As a powerful Water-type Pokemon, Kyogre can effectively counter Nidoking, Kingler, and Regigigas.
- Galarian Darmanitan: This strong Ice-type Pokemon is the perfect choice to counter Garchomp.
By using this team, you’ll have type advantages against all of Giovanni’s Pokemon, giving you a higher chance of success. However, keep in mind that Giovanni’s lineup may change in the future, so always adapt your team accordingly.
Rematching Giovanni in Pokemon Go
The great thing about battling Giovanni (or any other Team Go Rocket member) is that you can rematch them as many times as needed until you emerge victorious. If your initial team composition is not working, don’t be discouraged. Take the opportunity to reassess your strategy, make adjustments to your team, and try again. Remember, perseverance is key in your quest to defeat Giovanni and claim victory over Team Go Rocket.
Defeating Giovanni, the leader of Team Go Rocket, in Pokemon Go, requires careful planning and strategic team composition. By exploiting the weaknesses of his Pokemon and using the recommended counters, you’ll significantly increase your chances of victory. Keep an eye out for any updates to Giovanni’s lineup and adjust your team accordingly. With determination and the right strategy, you’ll be able to emerge triumphant in your battle against Giovanni. Good luck, trainers!